Elderly woman died of vitamin D overdose in care home, inquest hears

18 March 2019 – Independent

GP in tearful apology to tragic Leeds pensioner’s family over prescription error
19 March 2019 – Yorkshire Evening Post

GP failure contributed to Guiseley woman’s vitamin D death
20 March 2019 – BBC News

An inquest has heard that an elderly woman died after she was “chronically” over-prescribed Vitamin D tablets at a care home.

Eileen Cowles, 86, weighed just seven stone at the time of her death. She was taking two capsules of colicalciferol each day containing a total of 40,000 units of Vitamin D.

The hearing at Wakefield Coroners’ Court on Monday was told the pensioner should have been receiving two tablets a month, not every day.

Her family only discovered the error after finding papers while clearing out her room at Primrose Court care home in Guiseley, West Yorkshire, after her death in April 2015.

It was found she died of intestinal bleeding caused by the high levels of calcium in her blood as a consequence of the over-prescription.

Source (Independent)

Source (Yorkshire Evening Post)

Source (BBC News)

 

%d bloggers like this: