The number of children in care aged 16 or 17 placed in unregulated settings has increased from 2,900 in 2009 to 6,100 in 2019. The Government wants to ensure these placements are good quality.
• banning using this provision for under 16s
• introducing national quality standards
• ensuring independent reviewing officers represent young people’s interests
• requiring local authorities and policy forces to cooperate with each other
• new legal powers for Ofsted to take action against illegal providers